Monday, April 15, 2013

Game Review: BioShock Infinite

High in the clouds of Columbia, the player begins his journey as Booker Dewitt, who was sent on a rescue mission. The player is sent into the nostalgic ages of 1912 to a seemingly perfect utopia. Upon exploration, you begin to learn that Columbia is not what all it appears to be. Further exploration only seems to bring about more questions than answers.

After reaching Elizabeth, your target, you begin to unravel the twisted history and lies spun by Mayor Comstock. Elizabeth helps you to enhance abilities and gain necessary supplies as you two work together to learn the truth behind both of your pasts.

This game was beautifully designed and it impressed me from the minute I started to play. The graphics were impecable and the music only worked to enhance the visuals. I was pleasantly surprised to see the amount of quality and care that went into visual and audio. I was even more impressed with the story line.



The plot of BioShock Infinite kept my interest throughout the game. Everything from gathering vigors  to talking with other characters was engaging and appropriate to the story line.  I never noticed a use of fillers to drag out the story line and the ending took me by complete surprise. Nothing about this game was predictable, and it was easy to see that the blood, sweat and tears of Irrational Games went into BioShock to ensure every aspect was quality.

Added value is how well the controls were. I could not believe how smooth everything ran while blasting my way through the floating city of Columbia.  Very few times did I find myself getting stuck on a corner of a building as I tried to dodge out of the way of enemy fire and the waves of tough enemies made the game just difficult enough that I didn't feel like I was playing it on easy.

Bioshock has never been known for a multiplayer aspect which added little replay value for me.  After completing the storyline once I unlocked the "1999 Mode," which is the hardest difficulty.  There is an extra achievement in it for those gamers wishing to take their chances. There where some points in the game where I felt so overwhelmed by the sheer force of the numerous opposing enemies that had to take a break - and that was on normal!

I had a great time playing through Bioshock Infinite and I enjoyed every minute of it.  Congrats to  Irrational Games for a refreshingly well-rounded game and I would highly recommend it to gamers of all types. For those of you who're wondering if it relates to the previous BioShock games, I suggest getting a copy and finding out - you won't be disappointed!

GGR Rating:



No comments:

Post a Comment