Friday, February 22, 2013

A Xbox Gamer's Point of View of the Playstation 2013 Announcement

I was a Playstation gamer at one time(PS1, PS2, and the beginning part of PS3) but now, I am a Xbox gamer. What I thought of the Playstation announcement was, they didn’t really shock me. They didn’t come out and show me WHY I need a PS4. I know all the guts of the PS4 are going to be god-like, but if the game play and servers for online play are the same as the PS3....I don’t think they will be able to even touch the Xbox 720 (or whatever they decide to call it). I do have to give credit where credit is due. With PS4, the great things are the Gaikai (cloud gaming), getting ahold of Blizzard and also getting with Bungie.

The relationship with Gaikai is AMAZING. Knowing that sooner or later I would be able to pick and choose what games I would like to buy (from the first Crash Bandicoot to the newest God Of War) is awesome, but there is a big price to this. The price is that there's NO BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY. That's just plain old bat sh*t crazy. I mean come on, when PS3 came out, I was able to play any games I had from PS1 and PS2. To me, that’s going backwards. PS4 is pretty much saying, “yeah you can buy all these games off the online store, but you cant play the games that you already have unless you have the appropriate system.” STUPID!!!!

The other great thing from Gaikai is that you will be able to stream full PS4 games onto your PS Vita. (But again, you will have to buy it). Just like they said at the announcement, "if you have a family like some/most of us do, if your wife/husband wants to watch TV while you are playing games, you will be able to just hit a button and WHOOSH, you will be able to play the full length game on your Vita." GREAT IDEA!

Getting ahold of Blizzard and Bungie is probably the smartest thing they did game wise. Blizzard hasn’t been on a home counsel since PS1 with the original Diablo. That is a big feat of strength (strength = money). Sony getting Bungie is crazy to even think about. (That's like Xbox getting Naughty Dog). This is what Sony was probably thinking when they were writing up the contract, “you might get all the DLC for Call of Duty early but we will get the developer that made the Xbox”. Sorry to say this, but without Bungie Microsoft would have never been able to get off the ground with out them, (aka Halo). Getting that is a punch in the face to Microsoft.

All in all this announcement didn’t really wow me at all. Honestly, I almost fell asleep during it. Sony kind of dropped the ball on not even showing the system, not giving a price, and really only announcing one launch title.

Silentoutlaw

No comments:

Post a Comment